ake Patterson wrote a letter to a Minnesota reporter saying that he killed Jayme’s mother and father and kidnapped her “totally on impulse” and that his cause was “sophisticated.”
The person who allegedly confessed to kidnapping 13-year-old Jayme Closs after killing her mother and father, wrote a letter from jail saying he did it “totally on impulse” and since he was “actually pissed” on the time.
Jake Patterson, 21, was charged with two counts of first-degree intentional murder, one depend of kidnapping, and one depend of armed housebreaking in January, three months after he fatally shot James and Denise Closs of their dwelling and kidnapped their daughter, holding her in his cabin positioned in a distant space exterior Gordon, Wisconsin.
Patterson allegedly confessed his crimes to authorities after his arrest and supplied chilling particulars of the Oct. 15 murders and the teenager’s abduction.
Jayme was capable of escape after 88 days when Patterson left his cabin for just a few hours on Jan. 10. She approached a lady strolling her canine, who instantly acknowledged Jayme, rushed her to a neighbor’s home, and known as 911.
Within the Feb. 28 letter Patterson wrote to Minnesota’s KARE 11 reporter, Lou Raguse, he stated that he deliberate to plead responsible throughout his arraignment listening to on March 27. He stated he did not need Jayme and her kin to “fear a few trial.”
Patterson wrote that he had “big quantities” of regret and remorse for the issues he did, including “I can not consider I did this.”
He stated the explanation for doing it was “sophisticated.”
“On the time I used to be actually pissed,” he wrote. “I didn’t ‘need’ to. [PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTIO
He apologized to Jayme, writing, “Nobody will consider or may even think about how sorry I’m for hurting Jayme this a lot. Can’t specific it.”Patterson additionally dismissed investigators’ allegations that he had “completely” deliberate the murders and abduction.
“This was totally on impulse. I don’t suppose like a serial killer,” he wrote.
Patterson wrote the letter in response to a letter Raguse despatched to him on Feb.
In his letter, postmarked Feb. 28, Patterson replied to every of Raguse’s questions, typically scribbling out a number of phrases in his solutions.
When requested what made him kidnap Jayme, Patterson wrote, “It’s not black and white.”
Authorities stated that Patterson was driving to work at a cheese manufacturing facility when he stopped behind a faculty bus on a freeway and watched Jayme get on the bus.
Patterson later advised authorities that he had no concept who she was, however that when he noticed Jayme, he “knew that was the lady he was going to take.”
In response to what his “long-term plan” would have been, had Jayme not escaped, Patterson wrote within the letter, “Will not say. It was [PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTION] It was actually silly although wanting again.”
On the again, he wrote in large letters, “I am Sorry Jayme! For every thing. I do know it doesn’t imply a lot.”
Patterson’s lawyer, Charles Glynn, refused to verify or deny whether or not his consumer wrote the letter, KARE 11 reported. He advised the information station that he had heard in regards to the letter however had not spoken to Patterson instantly. Glynn didn’t reply to BuzzFeed Information’ request for remark.
Jayme’s aunt and guardian, Jennifer Smith, advised KARE11 that police had knowledgeable her in regards to the letter.
Barron County Sheriff Chris Fitzgerald, whose workplace investigated the case, advised BuzzFeed Information that he was “advised a letter had been despatched to a media outlet.”
Fitzgerald advised KARE11 that each incoming and outgoing letters are reviewed by jail employees.
Patterson is being held within the Polk County jail. The Polk County Sheriff’s workplace didn’t reply to a request for remark.
KARE 11 refused to offer a duplicate of the letter to BuzzFeed Information.
Right here is KARE 11’s transcript of Patterson’s letter with Raguse’s questions added to the transcript for readability:
Hello, IDK if I’ll really ship this. I’ll reply a few of your questions, some I can’t(?) [PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTION] I gained’t put a variety of particulars anyhow.
Query 1: Why did you confess once you had been caught, and why did you confess in such element?
1. I knew once I was caught (which I believed would occur quite a bit sooner) I wouldn’t combat something. I attempted to provide them every thing, [PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTION] (wasn’t fully sincere) so that they didn’t must interview Jayme. They did anyhow and harm her extra for no cause.
Query 2: What’s your plan now? Plead responsible or take the case all the best way to trial?
2. Plead responsible. I need Jayme and her kin to know that. Don’t need them to fret a few trial. Was really going to on the sixth, however in a case like this it’s probably not allowed? So the decide moved it to the 27th of March.
Query 3: What led you to wish to kidnap a lady within the first place?
3. It’s not black and white. [PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTION]
Query 4: Do you might have any regret or regrets for the issues that you just did?
4. Large quantities. [PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTION] I can’t consider I did this.
Query 5: What was your long-term plan if Jayme had not escaped that day?
5. Received’t say. [PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTION] It was actually silly although wanting again.
Query 6: Did you speak in confidence to anybody or go away any hints that folks failed to select up on.
6. No. [PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTION]
Query 7: Did your loved ones actually haven’t any clue? How typically had been members of the family in your cabin, and the way shut did they arrive to discovering Jayme underneath the mattress?
7. Nobody knew. My dad solely got here on Saturdays, the identical time daily. So it was a routine. Jayme hides on Sat. [PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTION] My household respects privateness so nobody even went in my room.
Query 8: Did you ever return to Barron after the crime or insert your self in any of the vigils or something being held in Jayme’s honor? Did you ever get near her household following the shootings/kidnapping?
8. I stayed away from Barron.
Query 9: How intently did you comply with the information protection, and was Jayme conscious of the information protection and the extent to which individuals had been trying to find her?
9. I adopted it [PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTION] by means of my cellphone. If one thing popped up on TV about it, I might change the channel. [PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTION] Would inform Jayme “I’m sorry, I can’t watch this.” IDK what she knew.
Query 10: When in your life did you understand you had been able to doing one thing like this? I simply watched a 20/20 Particular on BTK killer, and he advised a reporter he knew as a teen that he wished to do one thing like this in the future, and he was jealous over consideration different killers like Ted Bundy had been receiving. Did you’re feeling any of those self same ideas?
10. The cops say I deliberate this completely, and that I stated that. They’re actually good at twisting your phrases round, put them in numerous spots, straight up lie. Little mad about that. Making an attempt to cowl up their errors I suppose. This was totally on impulse. I don’t suppose like a serial killer.
Query 11: What goes by means of the thoughts of somebody who desires to hold out one thing like this?
11. On the time I used to be actually pissed. I didn’t “need” to. [PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTION] The rationale I did that is sophisticated.
[PEN SCRIBBLE REDACTION] = self redaction lol
Nobody will consider or may even think about how sorry I’m for hurting Jayme this a lot. Can’t specific it.